July 3: Beaune to Paris

I was greeted by a gloomy sky as we began our journey back from Cote d'Azur to Paris.  Despite my aversion to clouds, Mohamed and I agreed that it was better to drive in cooler weather, especially with almost nine hours of driving ahead of us.
On a whim, we decided to stop by Beaune to see the beautifully preserved hospital that was established on the 14th century.  It was definitely a cute town.
The hospital itself was very colorful and well-maintained.  The mannequins were a bit creepy if illustrative.
I found a little pastry shop -- boy, I'm good at that -- and saw something I'd never before encountered.  It was a flaky base covered with meringue and drizzled with apricot jam.  Interesting concept, but a little dry (I would have added a little custard).
The skies continued to look foreboding, although we only had short spurts of rain along the way.  Paris, as I have come to expect, was very cold and wet.
After our all-day drive, I could only imagine how relieved Mohamed felt to finally arrive in Paris.  We met with Adam one last time, and had Lebanese food for dinner.  I ordered only salad because I had overindulged in sweets and pastries on the car trip; below is the vegetarian platter that Mohamed ordered.  Tasty!