June 29: Cannes Do

I was very excited to see Cannes in the daylight -- it's gotta be famous for some reason, right?  Well, I thought it was lovely, but not because the beach or the movie theater looked nice.  It's because of the local market!  There were so many fresh fruits and flowers and fish, not to mention the spices and mushrooms and meats and cheeses.  A gourmand's dream come true!  Of course, the prices were right up there with the freshness.
Mohamed selected a duck mousse and local terrine for me (I was overwhelmed by the number of options), and we walked to the nearby boulangerie for some fresh bread.  The mousse was intensely duck-flavored, which I loved, and went perfectly with the still-warm bread.  We also enjoyed two cheeses before walking down the promenade.
At the risk of sounding impossible to please, I will state my opinion that Cannes is fine and all, but I've seen better.  Stresa in northern Italy, for example, is much less well-known and much more beautiful in terms of its flowers, greenery, buildings and coastline.  It's also less expensive.  :)  That said, Cannes was a good choice for us as a home base because neither Mohamed nor I had ever been to the French Riviera before, and we wanted to visit several towns on either side of Cannes.
I was very happy when Mohamed suggested going to nearby Grasse, which is famous for its perfume production.  As soon as we entered the town, I fell in love with how cute the town was.  We headed to the perfume museum before having a tasty lunch.
This picture of a dancer performing as Salome caught my eye.  Gosh, I miss dancing!
Lunch was great -- Mohamed ordered a very nice seafood salad, and I got a classic sandwich.
For dinner, we decided to eat something butter-free and headed to a Japanese restaurant in Cannes.  I found out the waitress spoke Chinese because she didn't have enough change and was asking her staff if they had any to spare!