Paris has some really fantastic treasures -- jewels, you might say. For me, these jewels include pastries, museums, ice cream, perfume, and good food! I started the day with fresh croissants for breakfast at the hotel (the woman literally ran over to the corner shop to get a bag of fluffy regular croissants and rich chocolate croissants). And then we headed to Musee D'Orsay, and I saw yummy pastries on the way!
Mohamed had promised to take me to Berthillon ice cream, which is a storied retailer of luxury ice creams and sorbets, so we headed over just in time for lunch. (Yes, lunch: I don't just have a sweet tooth, I have a head full of sweet teeth.) On the way, I saw many classic Paris sights.
Finally at our sweet destination, I chose caramel, cassis, cherry and tropical fruits with Chantilly cream. Mohamed selected a special concoction with plump cherries swimming in their own juice.
We then headed to the huge department store Galeries Lafayette, where I bought the newest Givenchy perfume ("ange ou demon le secret") that isn't quite available in U.S. yet. I was shocked to see so many Asian tourists buying designer handbags in such frenzied states -- it was like the bags were being given away for free! I saw many a store representative wrapping up half a dozen purses for each client.
On the way out, Mohamed pointed out Cafe Pouchkine to me. The desserts were gorgeously irresistible, and I selected a Pavlova after careful thought even though I wasn't the least bit hungry.
As I went to bed, all I could think is that I was relieved I had walked so much because I sure ate a lot.
Finally at our sweet destination, I chose caramel, cassis, cherry and tropical fruits with Chantilly cream. Mohamed selected a special concoction with plump cherries swimming in their own juice.
We then headed to the huge department store Galeries Lafayette, where I bought the newest Givenchy perfume ("ange ou demon le secret") that isn't quite available in U.S. yet. I was shocked to see so many Asian tourists buying designer handbags in such frenzied states -- it was like the bags were being given away for free! I saw many a store representative wrapping up half a dozen purses for each client.
On the way out, Mohamed pointed out Cafe Pouchkine to me. The desserts were gorgeously irresistible, and I selected a Pavlova after careful thought even though I wasn't the least bit hungry.
The Pavlova's crunchy meringue was surprisingly intense with a bright berry flavor, and the thick cream was a perfect counterpart. The light layer of cake inside was a nice surprise because it gave just the right amount of body to this celestial dessert. Heaven!
On the way home, I saw some huge fresh figs at local market, which didn't stop me from selecting the duck and fig tagine at Cafe Bebert for dinner. I love figs!As I went to bed, all I could think is that I was relieved I had walked so much because I sure ate a lot.