June 13: Paris in the Rain

France and Spain, here I come!  Thanks to Mohamed's enthusiastic and impeccable planning, all I've had to do for this trip is show up.  He did hours of research to plan our three-week vacation, including which cities we'd visit in Andalusia (south of Spain) and the French Riviera (south of France), which hotels were good deals (a combination of high user ratings and decent prices), what intra-country transportation would work best (fly to Spain from France, drive within each country), etc.  It's a treat for me to be able to avoid planning my vacation -- I plan for a living as a Program Manager, so it's a welcome break!

Of course, it was raining when we arrived in Paris.  And here I have a confession to make:  I don't totally love Paris.  Weather is an important factor for me, and it has ALWAYS rained whenever I've been in Paris even though I've only ever visited in the summer.  I need my reliable and frequent dose of sunshine!  Plus, Paris is expensive...that said, I was very excited to begin my trip.
After a three-hour nap at the hotel, we met up with Mohamed's son Adam and headed to a restaurant that specializes in mussels.  I had never before been presented with a bucketful like this!
Adam recommended waffles for dessert, and he was right -- the waffle was crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, and the coconut ice cream with fresh pineapple was perfect.  I almost didn't need the freshly whipped cream, and I definitely didn't use the strawberry sauce on the side.  Too bad:  I dipped the tines of my fork in the sauce, and it was bright and intensely berry-flavored.